Monday, February 13, 2012

Who me?

We recently planned  to attend a funeral and I went looking for my veil to wear. I wasn't  brought up to wear a veil weekly to Mass but I do remember veils as a child, especially at funerals. Looking back on it, I must remember them more from funerals because I would have been at Mass with a lot of family members. Our extended Italian Catholic family certainly wore a veil to Mass. My mother didn't wear a veil after Vatican II because she thought "you didn't have to anymore!"
And so the veil questions begin....Maria and Anna both wanted to know more about veiling. About the same time Jessica over at showerofroses posts about her beautiful weekend including the very special blessing~ churching of women. I noticed the veils in the church. (Jessica is a treasure trove of information by the way. If you don't read her blog, please do!)  One thing leads to another and find this post about ....the significance of veiling.
Yikes! My husband also heard Father's homily and said...I think you pretty much have to wear the veil!
I also saw these wonderful articles on veiling....
http://modestyveils.com/tradition.html
 and here you'll find lots more...
http://www.catholicplanet.com/women/headcovering.htm

I already wear a veil on my heart, so now armed with a convicted heart and more information (such as the Vatican did not do away with that!!) I went out into the world seeking thoughts of others. I was so relieved to hear...."you don't have to do that!"

Every time I think about it I hear Him, and I still ask "Who, me?"

I'd come home and reread these articles. Several times I'd go back to Jessica's link to listen to Father's homily and in the end....I get called away before I can finish my post again!

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya, Kara! This has been something on my heart as well...or a "veil on my heart" as you say. Love how you said that:) Praying for you and your answer to God's gentle nudge. I have started wearing a head covering to daily Mass. It is not a veil but it is a start! *wink* Have you been over to Michelle's blog (Liturgicaltime)?
    http://liturgicaltime.blogspot.com/
    Happy St. Valentine's Day to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fatithful Servant, Thanks for coming to see me. You always make me feel so much better. I happy to hear you have started to wear a head covering---I did last week but not a veil. In fact it was Maria's black tinkerbell hat turned inside out...lol...true story. No one knew Tink was on the inside. The point is I did feel better having my head covered. Relieved in fact! And I noticed more and more veils are cropping up at Mass. Especially the Latin mass....thanks for Michelle's link. I have not been to see her yet but am looking forward to reading all her posts about covering our heads. I hope we'll get to chat more about this later. Happy Saint Valentine's Day to you and your too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your note for us!