Friday, February 10, 2012

I know you hear me....


Infant Samuel
Joshua Reynolds 1723
1 Samuel 3
In those days it was not common to receive a message form the Lord. One night Eli was laying in his sleeping place, while Samuel lay in the sanctuary of the Lord near the ark of God. The Lord called Samuel, and he answered, " Here I am."
Samuel, who was probably a teenager at the time, hurried to Eli and said, " Here I am--you called me." Eli said he hadn't called, so Samuel went back to his place. This happened two more times. Then Eli realized that someone was really calling Samuel. It was the Lord himself.
So Eli said to Samuel, "Go and lie down. When someone calls you, say, 'Speak Lord. Your servant is listening.'"
So Samuel left and lay down in his place.
Then the Lord came and called as before: "Samuel! Samuel!"
And Samuel answered, "Speak, for your servant is listening."


I love this story. It's really a favorite of mine. For all the wrong reasons. It makes me feel better. If Samuel, is living right there in the house of God at Shiloh, even sleeping next to the ARK doesn't know the Lord is calling him, well how can little ol' me be sure?!

Here's how...Samuel says, " Here I Am", and I say "Who me?!"

Oh, I get called to do the hardest things, but I'll have to tell you about it later because I'm being called upstairs to a crying baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your note for us!